Thursday, August 11, 2011

Crane Lake: take one

IMG_3209A
This is one of the coolest places you can find yourself, in the heat of the summer. It's just far enough away, that you're away. But close enough that you won't spend money on a plane ticket.

But this isn't where we started.

Our journey to the lake began with an overnight trip to the shit hole. We went to the End Zone and played some more crane game (fitting for the weekend), and had some drinks.

~~~~~

Thursday morning we were early to rise, in excitement for the last leg of our trip up north. This part includes a stop in Cloquet for breakfast. We found out quickly this was the same Perkins, same crane game from the year before. Last year the guys won these hats... Steve's was a polar bear, and Mike's was a moose. They were the most ridiculous hats ever... This year, there was only 1 hat that was catchable, and it was Steve's... The chicken hat. Don't think for a second that this only went on for the photo opp... He wore this the entire 2-3 hours we had left of our drive.
IMG_3093A
We were disappointed to find out when we left for home, the hat remained at the lake.
The trip was long. I shouldn't complain though, I wasn't driving. I was napping and started a new book... (I said started... not that I got far...)
IMG_3111A
Oh and look here, I got a fishing license! Didn't use it, but I got one!
IMG_3114A
There is a small town outside of our destination and when we pass it I light up. This time I made Steve stop, so I could get the picture to share with you.
IMG_3110A
When we finally arrived we got settled in, and almost immediately ran out to the boat. It was hot, we were bored from our drive, and needed a cool pick-me-up.
IMG_3138A
IMG_3155A
After our drive around the lake we checked out the equipment we were working with. That's when we found "WILD FIRE" (said with a fist thrown up in the air). Steve was quick to hop on this, as we went into town.
IMG_3167A
I think Steve made quite the deal about it, because after we got back and started dinner I found it was occupied quickly.
IMG_3205A
IMG_3206A
After dinner... wait, before dinner... we were surprised to find that 2 1/2 of our uncooked burger patties were gone, missing, eaten... RUBY! She was quickly placed in time out. (See first picture, Ruby tied to cabin). Bad puppy.

Ok, so back to what I was thinking here... after dinner Steve road off on a 4-wheeler. Some of us gathered in the driveway for cocktails, and complaints about the flies. When Steve pulled back up...
IMG_3216A
IMG_3218A
He's always up to something.

We lit a fire, had some cocktails and played some light up frisbee as the sun went down.


~~~~~

Friday morning started, early... like all of the mornings started.

This was our big trip to the Ash River day. Each year we take the boat out on a day long boat trip. Usually Kettle Falls for pink thangs, but this year we switched it up to the river.

This lake is like no other I've seen. It's awkward and large. By awkward, I mean, one minute it's 40 feet deep and the next you see a mini rock island with a seagull on it. There are more islands than I can count out there. It's really amazing.
IMG_3222A
IMG_3227A
IMG_3233A
Once we got to the Ash River we were quick to get off the boat at the first bar and stretch our legs. I was the first to run into the bathroom... to this, I witnessed...
IMG_3235A
IMG_3238AIMG_3239A
When I came out and spread the word, I was greeted with a blue thang. Just as good as the pink.
IMG_3236A
We drank up and headed out to the next place.
IMG_3246A
On our way back, as we neared our destination we stopped so the guys could be guys and do some cliff jumping. One by one they climbed up and jumped off. Steve got antsy enough to do it twice.
IMG_3254A
When we got back, I needed a nap. I think I got about an hour and a half in, until I forced myself up. Just in time for dinner. Beef tenderloin was on the menu. One of the largest slabs of meat I've seen in a long while.

We finished dinner just in time to see the clouds roll in for a nice storm.
IMG_3296A
That brings us to the conclusion of the first couple days of Crane. Stay tuned for the next part.

~~~~~

1 comment:

Nikki said...

That cabin is gorgeous! I love the chicken hat too. It really sets up the weekend for me ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...